• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Energy

Minister Of Power Summons AEDC, IBEDC, TCN Over Worsening Electricity Supply Nationwide

metro by metro
March 2, 2024
in Energy
0
Oil Prices Climb On Expectations Of Lower OPEC+ Exports In August
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS


The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, has summoned the Chief Executives of Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) and Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) over the worsening power supply in their regions.

The Minister in a statement by his media aide, Bolaji Tunji, also summoned the Managing Director of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), Sule Ahmed Abdulazeez over the deteriorating power situation.

In a letter signed by the Director, Distribution Services at the Federal Ministry of Power, Engineer B.U Mustapha, the CEOs of the institutions were asked to attend a meeting called by the minister in the coming week to discuss issues bothering on worsening electricity supply in their regions with a view to proffering a lasting solution.

The minister also stated that the management of other non-performing DISCOs would be queried as reports continued to filter in on situations in their regions.

“These two DISCOs have been summoned due to the worsening power supply situation in their regions despite improved supply from TCN”, he said.

According to the statement, the ministry had been putting pressure on the Generating Companies (GENCOs) to improve performance and generation has been ramped up to over 4000MW in recent days.

“So, we expect power supply to have improved across the country, unlike what we are experiencing in some regions, presently. Findings revealed that some distribution companies were deliberately not taking up power supply from TCN while some power lines were also damaged by vandals in Abuja , Benin, Port Harcourt and Ibadan regions.

“Going forward, the minister said focus would be on all the DISCOs to compel them to expected performance while wilful, non- performance by any DISCO could suffice as a reason for severe punishment or outright license revocation,” the statement said.

The minister has also directed TCN to immediately commence repair works on the damaged transmission towers and power lines in order to improve supply in the affected regions.

Recall that the minister had embarked on supervisory visits to some of the power generating plants in the last few months.

He was in Kainji hydro power plant which will soon embark on an expansion plan to boost the existing 560MW operational capacity. He also visited Benue and Taraba states to assess the infrastructure being constructed to evacuate an additional 30 megawatts from the Kashimbilla hydo power station to the national grid. Presently, only 10MW is being evacuated from the hydro power plant.
ALSO READ:FG To Commence Lagos-Sagamu Long Bridge Repairs Monday

The minister was also in Olorunshogo and Omotosho thermal plants in Ogun and Ondo states, Ihvobor and Azura power plants in Edo state respectively.

During the visits, he assured these power plants that plans were underway by the federal government to defray part of the outstanding debts being owed the power generation companies and the gas supply companies.

“With this, succour is close to electricity consumers nationwide as we expect this action to improve generation levels across the country.

“He also appealed to electricity consumers to exercise a little patience while the situation is being turned around,” it added

Read Also

National Embarrassment As South Africa Disconnects Electricity Supply To Nigerian High Commission Over Utility Debts

National Grid Collapses For Second Time In Five Days

Reps Summon Ibadan, Jos Discos Over Persistent Power Crisis Amid  Grid Collapse For First Time In 2026

Previous Post

FG To Commence Lagos-Sagamu Long Bridge Repairs Monday

Next Post

Hungry FCT Residents Invade NEMA Warehouse, Loot Foodstuffs

Related Posts

FG Intensifies Moves To Avert Looming Inflation Protests Amid Hide & Seek Game In Week Of Decision
Energy

National Embarrassment As South Africa Disconnects Electricity Supply To Nigerian High Commission Over Utility Debts

February 3, 2026
National Grid Collapses For Second Time In Five Days
Energy

National Grid Collapses For Second Time In Five Days

January 27, 2026
Nigerians Thrown Into Darkness As National Grid Collapses For Seventh  Time In 2024 |
Energy

Reps Summon Ibadan, Jos Discos Over Persistent Power Crisis Amid  Grid Collapse For First Time In 2026

January 24, 2026
Banking / Finance

World Bank Scales Up Support to Cabo Verde’s Energy Transition and Universal Access

January 13, 2026
Next Post
Hungry FCT Residents Invade NEMA Warehouse, Loot Foodstuffs

Hungry FCT Residents Invade NEMA Warehouse, Loot Foodstuffs

Trump

Trump, Supreme Court Justices On Warpath As President Raises Global Tariff Rate To 15% After Ruling

February 21, 2026
US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

February 20, 2026
Nigerians Overstaying Visa Risk Serious Sanctions, US Warns, Says “No Honest Mistakes”

Trump Administration Moves To End Housing Assistance For Mixed Immigration Families 

February 20, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version