• Contact Us
  • About Us
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Health

WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak In Congo, Uganda An Emergency Of international Concern 

metro by metro
May 18, 2026
in Health
0
WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak In Congo, Uganda An Emergency Of international Concern 
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda has been declared ​a public health emergency of international concern by the World Health Organization, after 80 deaths were attributed to the disease.
The WHO said the outbreak, caused by ‌the Bundibugyo virus, did not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency but there was a high risk the disease could spread further to countries sharing land borders with the DRC.
On Sunday, the U.N. health agency said in a statement that 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been reported as of Saturday in the DRC’s Ituri province across at least three health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu.
One case was ​confirmed in the eastern Congolese city of Goma, a statement by M23 rebels said.
At least six Americans in the DRC have been exposed to the Ebola virus, with ​three exposures deemed high risk, CBS News reported, citing unnamed sources with international aid organizations. STAT News said one American may have developed symptoms. ⁠Reuters could not immediately verify the reports.
STAT News, which also cited unnamed sources, said the U.S. government was trying to transport the individuals out of the country, possibly to a military ​base in Germany.
Satish Pillai, Ebola response incident manager at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, declined at a Sunday briefing to say whether any Americans were among those who had ​been infected but stressed to reporters that the risk to the U.S. remains low.
CDC officials told reporters the agency has activated its emergency response center for the outbreak and plans to send more people to its offices in the DRC and Uganda.
The U.S. Embassy in the DRC issued a health alert on Sunday reminding U.S. citizens that the State Department advises Americans not to travel to the Ituri province and that the U.S. government ​is “extremely limited in its ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens” in the area.
“Do not travel to this area for any reason,” the alert said.
INTERNATIONAL SPREAD DOCUMENTED, WHO SAYS
The DRC health ​ministry had said on Friday that 80 people had died in the new outbreak in the eastern province.
The 17th outbreak in the country, where Ebola was first identified in 1976, could in fact be much ‌larger, given ⁠the high positivity rate of the initial samples and the increasing number of suspected cases being reported, the WHO said.
The outbreak is “extraordinary” as there are no approved Bundibugyo virus-specific therapeutics or vaccines, unlike for Ebola-Zaire strains, it said. All but one of the country’s previous outbreaks were caused by the Zaire strain.
READ ALSO:Protests Erupt Over Kenya Fuel Price Hikes, Strike Strands Commuters 
The DRC-Uganda outbreak poses a public health risk to other countries, with some cases of an international spread already documented, the agency said, advising countries to activate their national disaster and emergency-management mechanisms and undertake cross-border screening and screening at main internal roads.
In Uganda’s capital, Kampala, two apparently ​unrelated laboratory-confirmed cases, including one death, were reported ​on Friday and Saturday, from people travelling ⁠from the DRC, the WHO said.
The WHO said on Sunday that a previously reported laboratory-confirmed case in Kinshasa, the DRC capital, had tested negative after secondary testing.
Those who have had contact with or cases of the Bundibugyo virus should not travel internationally, unless as part of a medical ​evacuation, the WHO said.
The agency advised isolating confirmed cases immediately and monitoring contacts daily, with restricted national travel and no international travel until ​21 days after exposure.
At ⁠the same time, the WHO urged countries not to close their borders or restrict travel and trade out of fear, as this could lead to people and goods making informal border crossings that are not monitored.
The DRC’s dense tropical forests are a natural reservoir for the Ebola virus.
Jean Kaseya, director general of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement that he had requested ⁠technical guidance ​and recommendations on the potential need to declare the outbreak a public health emergency of continental security.
The often-fatal virus, ​which causes fever, body aches, vomiting and diarrhoea, spreads through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected persons, contaminated materials or persons who have died from the disease, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention

Read Also

Chad’s refugee crisis overwhelms maternity care in east, UN agency warns

New Hantavirus Case Suspected On Remote Island As Contact Tracing Continues 

Africa’s health workforce expands but shortages, unemployment and migration intensify: WHO report

Previous Post

Protests Erupt Over Kenya Fuel Price Hikes, Strike Strands Commuters 

Related Posts

English News Releases

Chad’s refugee crisis overwhelms maternity care in east, UN agency warns

May 13, 2026
New Hantavirus Case Suspected On Remote Island As Contact Tracing Continues 
Health

New Hantavirus Case Suspected On Remote Island As Contact Tracing Continues 

May 8, 2026
English News Releases

Africa’s health workforce expands but shortages, unemployment and migration intensify: WHO report

May 6, 2026
MeCure Industries Reports Impressive Q1 2026 Performance Amid Challenging Operating Environment
Health

MeCure Industries Reports Impressive Q1 2026 Performance Amid Challenging Operating Environment

April 30, 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak In Congo, Uganda An Emergency Of international Concern 

WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak In Congo, Uganda An Emergency Of international Concern 

May 18, 2026
BREAKING NEWS: Kenya Supreme Court Upholds Presidential Election Results Declaring Ruto As President Elect, Says No Evidence-50% Plus-One Threshold Not Met

Protests Erupt Over Kenya Fuel Price Hikes, Strike Strands Commuters 

May 18, 2026
Gunmen

Gunmen kill 10 In Attack On Farming Settlements in Katsina, Nigeria’s Northwest, Residents Say 

May 18, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version