• Contact Us
  • About Us
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Sports

FIFA Moves To Curb Abusive Conduct, Improve Transparency, Issues Red Cards For Mouth- Covering Confrontations At World Cup

metro by metro
April 29, 2026
in Sports
0
FIFA Moves To Curb Abusive Conduct, Improve Transparency, Issues Red Cards For Mouth- Covering Confrontations At World Cup
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Football’s law-makers have approved a new rule mandating red cards for players who cover their mouths during confrontations at this summer’s FIFA World Cup, as authorities move to clamp down on abusive conduct and improve transparency on the pitch.
The decision comes after Vinícius Júnior alleged he was racially abused by Gianluca Prestianni during a UEFA Champions League match in February.
The Real Madrid forward reported the incident to the referee after Prestianni, who plays for Benfica, covered his mouth while speaking to him on the pitch. Play was halted for 10 minutes in accordance with UEFA anti-discrimination protocols.
In response, FIFA proposed stricter sanctions, which were unanimously adopted at a meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) held in Vancouver, Canada, on Tuesday.
READ ALSO:Analysts Weigh Impacts Of UAE Exit On OPEC’s Future, Internarional Oil Markets, Regional Alliances, Others
An IFAB statement said: “At the discretion of the competition organiser, any player covering their mouth in a confrontational situation with an opponent may be sanctioned with a red card.”
The incident involving Prestianni has already led to disciplinary action. UEFA last week handed the player a six-match ban for discriminatory conduct deemed anti-gay in nature.
 Three of those matches have been suspended for two years, while one has already been served provisionally. The sanction remains subject to appeal.
FIFA had initially raised the proposal during IFAB’s annual general meeting in Wales in February, shortly after the incident.
Speaking the following day, FIFA president Gianni Infantino said he supported the introduction of red cards for players who conceal their speech while confronting opponents.
In a separate but related measure, players who walk off the pitch in protest at refereeing decisions — along with officials who encourage such actions — will also be immediately dismissed during the World Cup. Teams responsible for causing a match to be abandoned will, in principle, forfeit the game.
The move follows chaotic scenes at the Africa Cup of Nations final in January, when Senegal national football team players temporarily left the field in protest after a late penalty was awarded to hosts Morocco national football team. The incident delayed the match by 17 minutes.
Although Senegal initially went on to win the match after Brahim Díaz missed the penalty and the game proceeded to extra time, the result was later overturned. The Confederation of African Football stripped Senegal of the title, awarding the trophy to Morocco following an appeal.

Read Also

Atletico, Arsenal Settle For Draw In Champions League Semi-Final First Leg

Amid Middle East War, Iran Set To  Participate In 2026 World Cup,  FIFA Boss Confirms

African World Cup Hopefuls Register Morale-Boosting Wins 

Previous Post

Analysts Weigh Impacts Of UAE Exit On OPEC’s Future, International Oil Markets, Regional Alliances, Others

Next Post

Nigeria’s Heat Crisis Is Fueling a New Wave of Startups

Related Posts

Atletico, Arsenal Settle For Draw In Champions League Semi-Final First Leg
Sports

Atletico, Arsenal Settle For Draw In Champions League Semi-Final First Leg

April 30, 2026
Amid Middle East War, Iran Set To  Participate In 2026 World Cup,  FIFA Boss Confirms
Sports

Amid Middle East War, Iran Set To  Participate In 2026 World Cup,  FIFA Boss Confirms

April 4, 2026
African World Cup Hopefuls Register Morale-Boosting Wins 
Sports

African World Cup Hopefuls Register Morale-Boosting Wins 

April 1, 2026
Moses, Adams Score As Nigeria’s Super Eagles Defeat Iran In Friendly Tie
Sports

Moses, Adams Score As Nigeria’s Super Eagles Defeat Iran In Friendly Tie

March 27, 2026
Next Post

Nigeria’s Heat Crisis Is Fueling a New Wave of Startups

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Oil Stocks Declining ‘Very Fast’, IEA Chief Warns

Oil Stocks Declining ‘Very Fast’, IEA Chief Warns

May 18, 2026

NGX Advances Investor Education Drive With Digital Retail Engagement Initiative

May 18, 2026

Teresa Clarke, Chair and CEO of Africa.com, to Receive South Africa’s Order of the Companions of O.R. Tambo

May 18, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version