• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, August 16, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Nigeria Lifts UNICEF Suspension Hours After Accusing Staff Of Spying For Islamists

metro by metro
December 15, 2018
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
UNICEF
UNICEF

The Nigerian military on Friday lifted a suspension of United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund activities in the northeast of the country, hours after it was imposed amid accusations that UNICEF staff spied for Islamist militants in the restive region, reports Reuters

Nigeria’s northeast has been torn apart by a decade-long insurgency by Boko Haram and its splinter group Islamic State West Africa, in which more than 30,000 people have been killed and many more driven from their homes. With millions displaced, the northeast is largely dependent on international aid.

Read Also

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

Two Soldiers Killed After Army Apache Helicopter Crashed In Texas

Again, Adeleke Accuses Oyetola Of Using Federal Might To Intimidate Osun Voters

Earlier on Friday, the Nigerian military said UNICEF had been training people to sabotage troops’ counter-insurgency efforts by uncovering alleged human rights abuses by the military.

In its statement, the Nigerian military said UNICEF staff “train and deploy spies who support the insurgents and their sympathisers”.

These were “unwholesome practices that could further jeopardise the fight against terrorism and insurgency”, it said, adding that UNICEF’s operations were being suspended in the northeast until further notice.

But in a second statement hours later, the military said it held an emergency meeting with UNICEF representatives late on Friday.

“After extensive deliberations on the need to seek modalities to work harmoniously with the security agencies in the theatre of operation, the Theatre Command has henceforth lifted the three months suspension earlier imposed on UNICEF,” the military said in its second statement.

In its second statement, the military said during the meeting it urged “UNICEF representatives to ensure they share information with relevant authorities whenever induction or training of new staff is being conducted in the theatre”.

Earlier, after the allegation and suspension, a UNICEF spokeswoman said the organisation was “verifying the information”.

In April, Nigeria’s military declared three UNICEF employees “persona non grata”, in connection with alleged leaks of information about soldiers sexually abusing children in the northeast, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

The declaration was rescinded days later after pressure from diplomats, the sources said.

Nigeria’s military is highly sensitive to allegations of human rights abuses.

Tags: UNICEF
Previous Post

Nigerians Don’t Deserve More Suffering, PDP Replies Buhari

Next Post

Finally, Acquisition Deals Between Access, Diamond Banks Materialises

Related Posts

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police
News

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

August 13, 2026
Two Soldiers Killed After Army Apache Helicopter Crashed In Texas
Breaking

Two Soldiers Killed After Army Apache Helicopter Crashed In Texas

August 13, 2026
Again, Adeleke Accuses Oyetola Of Using Federal Might To Intimidate Osun Voters
News

Again, Adeleke Accuses Oyetola Of Using Federal Might To Intimidate Osun Voters

August 11, 2026
Fresh Economic shutdown As NLC, TUC Declare Nationwide Strike
News

TUC Backs Aviation Strike, Demands Action On Insecurity, Economy

August 11, 2026
Next Post
Access Bank

Finally, Acquisition Deals Between Access, Diamond Banks Materialises

ICPC Arrests NSCDC Deputy Commaandant Over Alleged N3bn Fraud

ICPC Uncovers N24bn Ghost Workers Scandal, Official Puts 14 Family Members On Government Payroll

August 13, 2026

Cholera spreads across borders in West and Central Africa

August 13, 2026
Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

August 13, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version