• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Breaking: Court sacks Anambra APC chairman

metro by metro
December 6, 2018
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

APCA Federal High Court sitting in Awka, Anambra on Thursday nullified the election of Mr Emeka Ibe as the chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

Chief Uzochukwu Onyekwere, a member of the APC in Anambra and chairmanship aspirant had gone to court to contest the May 19 state elective congress that brought in Ibe, over unlawful exclusion.

Read Also

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

Bessent Says US To Impose ‘Toughest’ Ever Sanctions On Iran, Urges China To Cooperate

At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest

Defendants in the suit were Okey Ezea, Rep. Kingsley Chinda, Chairman of the APC Congress Committee in Anambra, Ibe, the acclaimed winner and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Onyekwere prayed the court that he was a bona-fide member of APC and was entitled to aspire for the office the party’s chairman in Anambra.

He sought declaration that the exercise was not conducted in accordance with the provisions of Section 223 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended and Article 20 of the APC constitution 2017 as amended.

He said the intendment of those provisions was that all elections would be through democratic voting and that the exercise fell short of it.

Ibeh sought a declaration that he would not be punished after seeking justice through the court and that the May 19, 2018 Anambra APC congress be set aside.

In his over two hours ruling, Justice Bature Gafai dismissed the counter affidavits of defendants which contended that the court did not have jurisdiction over the matter as it was an internal party affair.

Gafai said the plaintiff being a bona-fide of the party and having paid the mandatory nomination fee had the right to fair contest.

He nullified the election into the APC chairmanship position and ordered a re-run which INEC should supervise.

The judge who did not grant the damage of N100 million sought by the plaintiff however, did not give that for the repeat of the election.

But in a swift reaction, Chief Tagbo Ike, counsel to the petitioner applauded the court for the judgment and speedy dispensation of justice.

Ike, who described the election as a `sham’ said it was sad that a few people sat and produced their stooges as consensus and harmonised candidates and forced them on the people.

Ike said he would convey judgment to the party hierarchy for appropriate action.

The plaintiff, Onyekwere also lauded the court adding that he had been vindicated.

Onyekwere said he would go back and prepare for a congress election that would reflect the minds of the generality of party faithful.

“I thank God, if you must go to equity you have to go with clean hands, I have maintained that there was no congress in Anambra and the court has confirmed it.

“I will go and prepare, if I win, I win and if I lose I will be happy that justice has been served,” he said.

Tags: APC
Previous Post

Passenger demand rebounds in October — IATA

Next Post

SEC urges Nigerians to take advantage of e-dividend registration to boost economy

Related Posts

UK Finance Minister Says Govt To Cut Cost By 15%
News

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

August 21, 2026
US Excludes Nigeria, 17 Other Countries From 2025 Visa Lottery Scheme
News

Bessent Says US To Impose ‘Toughest’ Ever Sanctions On Iran, Urges China To Cooperate

August 21, 2026
At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest
News

At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest

August 21, 2026
Nigerians More Vulnerable Now Than When You Came, Kukah Tells Buhari  
News

2027: Ordinary Nigerians Need To See Measurable Improvement In Their Lives-Kukah

August 18, 2026
Next Post

SEC urges Nigerians to take advantage of e-dividend registration to boost economy

Rwanda Highlights Potential for Migration to Drive Jobs, Skills and Regional Growth: IOM Chief

August 21, 2026
UK Finance Minister Says Govt To Cut Cost By 15%

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

August 21, 2026
FG considers foreign exchange reforms as dollar shortages bite

Dollar Wobbles As Investors Balk At US Treasury’s Rescue Efforts

August 21, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version