• Contact Us
  • About Us
Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Property tussle: Anambra Govt. bans Church services in public schools

metro by metro
October 19, 2018
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Peter Obi
Peter Obi

The Anambra Government, on Friday, banned religious bodies from using either public schools or its facilities, to conduct religious services across the state.

The state Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr Don Adinuba, announced the ban in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Onitsha.

Read Also

2027: Ordinary Nigerians Need To See Measurable Improvement In Their Lives-Kukah

‘We Respect The process’: Oyebamiji Endorses APC Review Of Osun Election Result

U.S. Judge Sets New Deadline For Release Of Records On Allegations Linking Tinubu To Drug Trafficking –Atiku’s US Lobbying Firm

Adinuba said the ban became imperative because of the ongoing seeming ownership tussle of Bishop Crowder Memorial School, Onitsha, being contested between the state and the Diocese on the Niger, Anglican Communion.

NAN recalls that the Church, through its legal Secretary, Mr Tabugbo Anaeto, is laying ownershipof the school.

NAN further reports that members of the Anglican Church recently staged a peaceful protest and subsequently released a statement, accusing the state government of its alleged refusal from allowing it to assume ownership of its property.

Anaeto, in a statement, alleged that the state government had refused to make public the report of the fact finding committee on the ownership of the school set up by former Gov. Peter Obi.

But the commissioner dismissed the allegation, saying that the school, established by government during the colonial era, had been operated since then by the state government till date.

“The original name of the school began as Local Authority School under the colonial masters; it never belonged to any church.

“If they really lay claim of ownership, they should come forward with documents to prove that, but we do not want to engage in a press war with any organisation or individual in the state.

“This will not be in the interest of the people of the state to engage in any kind of press war,” the commissioner told NAN.

Adinuba explained that the Deputy Governor had granted an oral plea by Anglican Church to allow it conduct mid-week services in the school on Wednesdays.

The commissioner said the church had been conducting mid week service within the school premises but expressed surprise that it suddenly started erecting structures within the school compound without authorization.

According to him, “what you know is not your own, why take it by blackmail,” the commissioner queried, saying that every property owned by churches were documented by the state government.

“The Anambra Government has, therefore, banned religious services from being conducted in publicly owned secondary schools across the state based on our experience.

“This is because if they are allowed to worship there, it may turn out to become their own without documentary evidence,” Adinuba said.

Tags: Peter Obi
Previous Post

PenCom approves 3,280 applications for retirement in Q1

Next Post

EFCC quizzes Abia Finance Commissioner, 4 ministry officials over alleged fraud

Related Posts

Nigerians More Vulnerable Now Than When You Came, Kukah Tells Buhari  
News

2027: Ordinary Nigerians Need To See Measurable Improvement In Their Lives-Kukah

August 18, 2026
‘We Respect The process’: Oyebamiji Endorses APC Review Of Osun Election Result
News

‘We Respect The process’: Oyebamiji Endorses APC Review Of Osun Election Result

August 18, 2026
FG Intensifies Moves To Avert Looming Inflation Protests Amid Hide & Seek Game In Week Of Decision
News

U.S. Judge Sets New Deadline For Release Of Records On Allegations Linking Tinubu To Drug Trafficking –Atiku’s US Lobbying Firm

August 18, 2026
UK Commends Resilience, patience Demonstrated By Voters During Osun Election Urges Nigeria To Apply Lessons To 2027 poll
News

UK Commends Resilience, patience Demonstrated By Voters During Osun Election Urges Nigeria To Apply Lessons To 2027 poll

August 17, 2026
Next Post

EFCC quizzes Abia Finance Commissioner, 4 ministry officials over alleged fraud

At Least 25 killed In Attack On Nigeria’s Plateau Amid Reprisal Fears

At Least 25 killed In Attack On Nigeria’s Plateau Amid Reprisal Fears

August 18, 2026
US Excludes Nigeria, 17 Other Countries From 2025 Visa Lottery Scheme

US Lifts Security Restrictions On Ships From Nigeria After 12 Years

August 18, 2026
Nigerians More Vulnerable Now Than When You Came, Kukah Tells Buhari  

2027: Ordinary Nigerians Need To See Measurable Improvement In Their Lives-Kukah

August 18, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version