• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Economy

CBN sells $1bn to help clear backlog in biggest dollar sale since June

Editor by Editor
December 29, 2016
in Economy
0
CBN
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) sold about $1 billion on the forward market last week to clear a backlog of dollar obligations in selected sectors, traders said on Thursday, its largest special auction since a currency peg was removed in June, reports Reuters.

Outstanding dollar demand was about $4 billion before June, when the 16-month-old peg was removed. Efforts to cut dollar demand have been largely unsuccessful due to low oil prices.

Read Also

Amid Dwindling Purchasing Power Of Naira, January Inflation Eases To 15.10 Percent 

Nigerian, Zambian Currencies May Post Further Gains As Ghana’s Cedi Faces Pressure

Yuan Expected To Rise In 2026 Amid Cautious Optimism From  Beijing

Crude sales account for about 90 percent of Nigeria’s foreign exchange earnings.

Traders said CBN told banks to prioritise airlines, manufacturing firms, petroleum products importers and agriculture sectors, the sectors worst hit by the dollar shortage, in the auction.

“The central bank sold $1 billion at last week’s special forex auction and directed banks to issue fresh letters of credit to reflect the amount sold in favour of the affected sectors,” a senior currency trader told Reuters.

Traders said the central bank sold 30-day and 60-day forwards at the auction.

On Dec. 19, the central bank instructed lenders to submit their backlog of dollar demand from fuel importers, airlines, raw materials and machinery for manufacturing firms and agricultural chemicals for the special forex intervention.

Nigeria is in its first recession for 25 years, caused by the oil price drop which has cut the supply of dollars needed to fund imports. Attacks by militants on pipelines in the Niger Delta since January have cut crude

The dollar shortage in Nigeria, a member of the  OPEC , whose crude sales make up two thirds of government revenue, has caused many companies to halt operations and lay off workers, compounding the economic crisis.

Some foreign airlines have closed down or reduced their operations over an inability to repatriate the proceeds of their earnings due to the dollar shortage.

An acute shortage of jet oil in the last few months – caused by the inability of importers to secure the dollars needed to buy the fuel – has led to many operators refuelling in neighbouring countries.

Flight cancellations by local airlines have become commonplace as a result of the shortages.

The naira was trading at about 305.25 to the dollar on the interbank market on Thursday and was quoted at 490 a dollar on the unofficial market.

 

Previous Post

Police foil attempt to attack 3rd Mainland Bridge

Next Post

CBN sells $1b to help clear backlog in biggest dollar sale since June

Related Posts

National Bureau
Economy

Amid Dwindling Purchasing Power Of Naira, January Inflation Eases To 15.10 Percent 

February 16, 2026
UBA, Fidelity, Others Extend Workdays As CBN Insists On January 31 Deadline For Depositing Old Naira Notes
Economy

Nigerian, Zambian Currencies May Post Further Gains As Ghana’s Cedi Faces Pressure

February 6, 2026
Yuan Expected To Rise In 2026 Amid Cautious Optimism From  Beijing
Economy

Yuan Expected To Rise In 2026 Amid Cautious Optimism From  Beijing

February 4, 2026
African Nations Now Send More Money To China Than They Receive In New Loans
Economy

African Nations Now Send More Money To China Than They Receive In New Loans

January 27, 2026
Next Post
CBN

CBN sells $1b to help clear backlog in biggest dollar sale since June

Trump

Trump, Supreme Court Justices On Warpath As President Raises Global Tariff Rate To 15% After Ruling

February 21, 2026
US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

February 20, 2026
Nigerians Overstaying Visa Risk Serious Sanctions, US Warns, Says “No Honest Mistakes”

Trump Administration Moves To End Housing Assistance For Mixed Immigration Families 

February 20, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version