• Contact Us
  • About Us
Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

3,000 people who fled Boko Haram return to hometown

metro by metro
December 27, 2016
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

More than 3,000 people in northeast Nigeria who were forced to flee the seven-year insurgency waged by Islamist militants have returned to their hometown following the reopening of major roads in the area, the army said on Tuesday.

Damasak – in the northwest of Borno, the state worst hit by the militants – was taken over by Boko Haram in late 2014, when it controlled an area the size of Belgium in northeast Nigeria. The insurgents were pushed out of the town by the army in July

Read Also

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

Bessent Says US To Impose ‘Toughest’ Ever Sanctions On Iran, Urges China To Cooperate

At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Saturday that the army had taken back Boko Haram’s main camp in the Sambisa forest.

On Sunday, the government said it was reopening two roads between Borno’s capital, Maiduguri, and the northern towns of Damasak and Baga.

Army spokesman Sani Usman said more than 3,000 people used one of the roads to return to Damasak on Monday.

Reuters was unable to independently verify his statement.

“They were residents of Damasak displaced by the insurgency staying as refugees in the neighbouring Niger Republic and internally displaced people in Maiduguri,” he said.

Usman said the returnees went through military security checks when they arrived and were met by local government officials and community leaders.

More than two million people have been displaced during the insurgency as Boko Haram tries to establish an Islamic state, run using a strict interpretation of sharia, in the northeast. About 15,000 people have been killed.

After the announcement that the Sambisa camp had been taken, the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, said the former game reserve would be used as a military training base to prevent the insurgents returning.

Security analysts say Boko Haram split this year with one faction led by Abubakar Shekau operating from the Sambisa forest and the other, allied to Islamic State and led by Abu Musab al-Barnawi, based in the Lake Chad region.

Despite having been pushed back by a military offensive in the last few months, Boko Haram still stages suicide bombings in northeast Nigeria and in neighbouring Niger and Cameroon.

 

Previous Post

Telcos abandon festive freebies as recession bites

Next Post

Sudden rise in reserves, oil price seen closing Nigeria’s multiple FX rates

Related Posts

UK Finance Minister Says Govt To Cut Cost By 15%
News

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

August 21, 2026
US Excludes Nigeria, 17 Other Countries From 2025 Visa Lottery Scheme
News

Bessent Says US To Impose ‘Toughest’ Ever Sanctions On Iran, Urges China To Cooperate

August 21, 2026
At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest
News

At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest

August 21, 2026
Nigerians More Vulnerable Now Than When You Came, Kukah Tells Buhari  
News

2027: Ordinary Nigerians Need To See Measurable Improvement In Their Lives-Kukah

August 18, 2026
Next Post

Sudden rise in reserves, oil price seen closing Nigeria's multiple FX rates

Rwanda Highlights Potential for Migration to Drive Jobs, Skills and Regional Growth: IOM Chief

August 21, 2026
UK Finance Minister Says Govt To Cut Cost By 15%

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

August 21, 2026
FG considers foreign exchange reforms as dollar shortages bite

Dollar Wobbles As Investors Balk At US Treasury’s Rescue Efforts

August 21, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version