• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, August 16, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Abducted Chibok schoolgirl found with baby by army

metro by metro
November 5, 2016
in News
0
Army
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

One of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by jihadist group Boko Haram from their school in northeast Nigeria’s Chibok in 2014 has been found by soldiers, a Nigerian army spokesman said on Saturday, weeks after the militants released 21 of the girls.

Around 270 girls were kidnapped in April 2014 by the Islamist militant group, which has killed 15,000 people and displaced more than two million during a seven-year insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic caliphate in north-east Nigeria.

Read Also

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

Two Soldiers Killed After Army Apache Helicopter Crashed In Texas

Again, Adeleke Accuses Oyetola Of Using Federal Might To Intimidate Osun Voters

Dozens escaped in the initial melee, but more than 200 remained missing for more than two years.

Sani Usman said the girl, Maryam Ali Maiyanga, was discovered by troops who were screening escapees from Boko Haram’s base in the Sambisa forest on Saturday morning in Pulka, Gwoza Local Government Area, in Borno State.

“She was discovered to be carrying a 10-month-old son, named Ali. She has been taken to the unit’s medical facility for (a) proper medical check up,” said Usman.

Bring Back Our Girls, a group of campaigners with close ties to relatives of those abducted, said “preliminary investigations” showed the girl was number 198 on its register of the kidnapped girls.

In a statement, the campaign group said she was from Askira Uba, a district of Borno state, and was abducted along with her twin who is yet to return.

Last month, 21 of the girls were released by Boko Haram following talks with the government brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government. The government has vowed to rescue the girls still being held.

The first of the schoolgirls to be found was discovered by soldiers on the edge of the Sambisa forest, a former colonial game reserve in Borno state about 100 km (60 miles) from the village of Chibok, in May.

MILITARY OFFENSIVE

Nigeria’s military has been carrying out a large-scale offensive in the vast woodland area and other parts of Borno state, the epicenter of the insurgency, in the last few weeks.

Usman said troops killed 14 suspected Boko Haram militants on Friday during a clash at Mallam Fatori, northern Borno State.

“We lost an officer and four soldiers, while four other soldiers sustained various degrees of injuries during the encounter,” he said.

Boko Haram has kidnapped hundreds of men, women and children but the kidnapping of the Chibok girls brought worldwide attention to the group and widespread condemnation.

The group, which last year pledged loyalty to the militant group Islamic State, controlled a swathe of land around the size of Belgium in early 2015.

Nigeria’s army, aided by troops from neighboring countries, has since recaptured most of the territory, although the jihadist group still stages suicide bombings in the northeast, as well as in neighboring Niger and Cameroon.

Previous Post

Militant group MEND claims attack on Trans-Forcados pipeline -newspaper

Next Post

Chelsea go top after City are held

Related Posts

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police
News

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

August 13, 2026
Two Soldiers Killed After Army Apache Helicopter Crashed In Texas
Breaking

Two Soldiers Killed After Army Apache Helicopter Crashed In Texas

August 13, 2026
Again, Adeleke Accuses Oyetola Of Using Federal Might To Intimidate Osun Voters
News

Again, Adeleke Accuses Oyetola Of Using Federal Might To Intimidate Osun Voters

August 11, 2026
Fresh Economic shutdown As NLC, TUC Declare Nationwide Strike
News

TUC Backs Aviation Strike, Demands Action On Insecurity, Economy

August 11, 2026
Next Post
Antonio Conte

Chelsea go top after City are held

ICPC Arrests NSCDC Deputy Commaandant Over Alleged N3bn Fraud

ICPC Uncovers N24bn Ghost Workers Scandal, Official Puts 14 Family Members On Government Payroll

August 13, 2026

Cholera spreads across borders in West and Central Africa

August 13, 2026
Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

Erling Haaland Stickers Found On Cocaine Haul Seized By Ecuador Police

August 13, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version