• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Nigeria Meningitis Outbreak: Death toll rises to 438 as mass immunisation commences in Zamfara

metro by metro
April 8, 2017
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

The death toll from suspected cases of meningitis has reached 438, an official said.

John Oladejo, the incident manager of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, stated this in a statement released by the centre.

“As at April 5, 2016, 3,959 suspected cases have been reported as part of the current outbreak, of which 181 cases have been laboratory-confirmed.

“A total of 438 deaths (11 per cent of all cases) have been reported from 106 LGAs in 19 states in the country and outbreak response and control activities are ongoing in the State to curtail the outbreak”, he added.

In Zamfara, the state most affected by the outbreak of the Cerebro Spinal Meningitis, residents have been turning out in large numbers for a mass vaccination exercise against the disease.

The Federal Government on Thursday kicked off the vaccination exercise in Zamfara State. The state governor, Abdulaziz Yari, earlier in the week came under fire from across the country for attributing the outbreak of the disease to God’s anger over the sins of Nigerians.

The National Primary Health Care Development Agency, NPHCDA, and the NCDC, responded to the outbreak by beginning the vaccination exercise in Zamfara, in collaboration with the state government.

A statement on Friday by NCDC stated that the campaign, which targets 300,000 persons aged 2 – 29 years, started on Thursday in the eight most affected local government areas in Zamfara State, and will continue until Sunday.

It said more campaigns are planned in other states in the near future.

Abdullahi Shinkafi, the Secretary to the Zamfara State Government and Chairman of the Zamfara State Committee for the Control of Meningitis, is coordinating oversight of the vaccination exercise, in close collaboration with the NCDC Chief Executive Officer, Chikwe Ihekweazu, who is leading an NCDC technical team to monitor and supervise the campaign.

According to the statement, the Zamfara State government had worked with the Federal Ministry of Health, NPHCDA, NCDC and other global partners on an intensive sensitization exercise to increase community participation ahead of the vaccination campaign.

“The team of experts is tasked with planning, coordinating and implementing an effective vaccination campaign in collaboration with the recently commissioned Meningitis Emergency Operations Centre at NCDC”, it stated.

“Traditional leaders and several community groups are helping with mobilization of people across the state,” it added.

Mr. Ihekweazu was quoted as saying the commitment of the traditional rulers has been evident in the state; stating that they had helped mobilise their community members for the exercise.

“Indeed, we see an opportunity for a sustainable initiative which will go beyond this response.

“Reports from the field indicate early progress in the vaccination exercise. In Zamfara State, there has been a massive turnout recorded in the target local government areas.”

To support effective outbreak response coordination across the entire country, the Minister of Health, Isaac Adewole, had mandated the NCDC to activate an Emergency Operations Centre which has swung into action.

The Centre is currently staffed with experts from the NCDC, NPCHDA, the Federal Ministry of Health and others from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, UNICEF and other partner agencies.

The Incident Manager, Mr. Oladejo, said their work at the EOC is to put in place a sustainable process for responding to the current Meningitis outbreak.

“We are happy to say that this is truly a partnership focused on successfully stopping the outbreak. We will work round the clock to implement rapid response plans and deal with emerging issue”.

He also stated that the National Assembly was aware of the work of the EOC and the NCDC and had expressed its support

Read Also

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

Bessent Says US To Impose ‘Toughest’ Ever Sanctions On Iran, Urges China To Cooperate

At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest

Tags: Meningitis
Previous Post

Nigerian interbank rate rises on payments for debt purchases

Next Post

Supreme Court sacks House of Reps memeber, orders him to refund all salaries, allowances collected

Related Posts

UK Finance Minister Says Govt To Cut Cost By 15%
News

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

August 21, 2026
US Excludes Nigeria, 17 Other Countries From 2025 Visa Lottery Scheme
News

Bessent Says US To Impose ‘Toughest’ Ever Sanctions On Iran, Urges China To Cooperate

August 21, 2026
At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest
News

At least 50 killed, Mostly Children, As Overloaded Boat Capsizes In Sokoto, Nigeria’s Northwest

August 21, 2026
Nigerians More Vulnerable Now Than When You Came, Kukah Tells Buhari  
News

2027: Ordinary Nigerians Need To See Measurable Improvement In Their Lives-Kukah

August 18, 2026
Next Post

Supreme Court sacks House of Reps memeber, orders him to refund all salaries, allowances collected

Rwanda Highlights Potential for Migration to Drive Jobs, Skills and Regional Growth: IOM Chief

August 21, 2026
UK Finance Minister Says Govt To Cut Cost By 15%

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

August 21, 2026
FG considers foreign exchange reforms as dollar shortages bite

Dollar Wobbles As Investors Balk At US Treasury’s Rescue Efforts

August 21, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version