• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home English News Releases

Libya shipwreck claims 130 lives despite SOS calls, as UN agencies call for urgent action

metro by metro
April 27, 2021
in English News Releases, Uncategorized
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

A shipwreck off the Libyan coast has reportedly claimed the lives of 130 people, despite SOS calls for help, the UN migration agency IOM said on Friday. 

NEW YORK, USA, April 26, 2021,-/African Media Agency (AMA)/-The tragedy was confirmed late on Thursday by the volunteer rescue vessel Ocean Viking, which found dozens of bodies floating in the water northeast of Tripoli. 

Read Also

US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

Sustaining Current Growth Drivers Of Nigerian Economy

Thales to recruit more than 9,000 new employees in 2026

It had been in distress since Wednesday morning, the NGO said in a statement. 

IOM spokesperson, Safa Msehli, told journalists in Geneva that the victims had been on board a rubber dinghy for two days before it sank in the central Mediterranean.  

“For two days, the NGO alarm phone, which is responsible for sending distress calls to the relevant maritime rescue centres in the region, has been calling on States to uphold their responsibilities towards these people and send rescue vessels. Unfortunately, that has not happened.”  

More than 500 people have drowned on the so-called Central Mediterranean sea route this year according to IOM – almost three times as many the same period last year. 

Others in peril 

Over the past three days, there have been reports of at least two other boats carrying migrants in the central Mediterranean, Ms. Msehli noted. 

One boat was intercepted by the Libyan coastguard and 103 or more people were returned to Libya “and detained”, while a mother and child were found dead on board. 

The third boat, which is believed to be carrying 40 people – has been at sea for three days and is still missing, the IOM spokesperson continued. 

“What we fear is that the worst has happened, given the status and the state of these boats, given the length and duration that people are spending in what remains the most dangerous sea crossing in the world”. 

According to IOM data, more than 16,700 people have crossed the Mediterranean route since the start of the year and some 750 have died, taking into account Thursday’s shipwreck. 

Urgent action required, IOM and UNHCR urge

In a joint message released late on Friday, the IOM and UN refugee agency, UNHCR, called for “urgent action” in the Central Mediterranean to avert further major loss of life, noting that if the death toll is confirmed from earlier in the day, it would be the largest loss of life recorded in the area since the beginning of the year.

The agencies “reiterate their call on the international community to take urgent steps to end avoidable loss of lives at sea”, said the press release. “This includes the reactivation of search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean, enhanced coordination with all rescue actors, ending returns to unsafe ports, and establishing a safe and predictable disembarkation mechanism.”

Distributed by African Media Agency (AMA) on behalf of UN News.

The post Libya shipwreck claims 130 lives despite SOS calls, as UN agencies call for urgent action appeared first on African Media Agency.

Source : African Media Agency (AMA)

Tags: English News Releases
Previous Post

Nigeria Expecting 29.8m Doses Of Johnson & Johnson COVID Vaccine

Next Post

DR Congo: ‘Relentless’ violence worsening plight of children in Ituri province

Related Posts

US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports
Uncategorized

US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

February 20, 2026
Uncategorized

Sustaining Current Growth Drivers Of Nigerian Economy

February 19, 2026
Business

Thales to recruit more than 9,000 new employees in 2026

February 18, 2026
Business

African cities reclaimed almost 2 million hours in 2025 thanks to Yango Group’s AI routing technology

February 18, 2026
Next Post

DR Congo: ‘Relentless’ violence worsening plight of children in Ituri province

Trump

Trump, Supreme Court Justices On Warpath As President Raises Global Tariff Rate To 15% After Ruling

February 21, 2026
US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

February 20, 2026
Nigerians Overstaying Visa Risk Serious Sanctions, US Warns, Says “No Honest Mistakes”

Trump Administration Moves To End Housing Assistance For Mixed Immigration Families 

February 20, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version