• Contact Us
  • About Us
Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Oil & Gas

China’s Hengli Scraps West African, Mideast Oil Purchases, Cuts Output, Sources Say

metro by metro
July 2, 2026
in Oil & Gas
0
China’s Hengli Scraps West African, Mideast Oil Purchases, Cuts Output, Sources Say
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

 

 

Read Also

Oil Rises on Iran War Stalemate; Near-term Potential For Further Gains Seen Limited

Ogoni Youth Back Oil Resumption, Demands Role In OML 11 Operations

Nigeria Meets OPEC Quota For Third Consecutive Month, Production Hits 1.67mbpd In July

China’s Hengli Petrochemical, sanctioned by the U.S. for ​allegedly buying Iranian oil, has cancelled recent purchases of non-Iranian crude, five trade sources said, forcing the firm ‌to cut refinery operations further as inventory runs low.

The unusual cancellations come just weeks after Reuters reported that the refiner bought cargoes from West Africa and the Middle East, aiming to be removed from Washington’s list.

The refiner cancelled deals for at least 6 million barrels of crude, said three ​of the sources who were briefed on the matter.
These included 2 million barrels of West African oil delivered to ​storage tanks in east China last month that are owned by a third party, as well ⁠as another two 2-million-barrel Middle Eastern crude cargoes scheduled to be delivered in July, they said.
One of the Middle Eastern ​cargoes has been resold, according to one of the sources. All sources spoke on condition of anonymity as the matter is sensitive.

The ​reason for the cancellations — which have not previously been reported — was unclear.
Hengli, one of China’s largest independent refiners, did not respond to emails seeking comment and calls to company officials did not connect.

READ ALSO:Oil Falls To Four-month Low As US, Iran Conclude Talks In Doha
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the refinery in April. Shortly after that, Hengli denied it had ​had any dealings with Iran.
Last week, Washington lifted sanctions on Iranian oil for 60 days as part of an interim peace ​deal and Iran has accelerated oil loadings, but it remains unclear who might be buying under the new waiver.

CANCELLATIONS ARE RARE
It is rare ‌for large ⁠refiners to cancel deals on short notice or default on them, traders said, adding that the cancellations could cast a pall over future transactions and partnerships.
“This is a blow to its trading team as they tried so hard, knocking at doors at many (partners) to get back the mainstream market,” said one of the sources who is among the suppliers.
Hengli had structured each purchase via ​a supply chain involving several ​traders to minimise any potential ⁠sanction backlash for the parties, the sources said.

One of the sources said this made it hard to tell which firms suffered losses. It was also unclear whether Hengli compensated the sellers.
The ​refiner said in late April that its 400,000-barrel-per-day plant in northeast China was holding more ​than three months’ ⁠worth of crude oil stocks, and that it would seek a legal path to being removed from the sanctions list.
Unable to buy non-sanctioned oil to replenish its inventory, Hengli has had to further cut its refining throughput, two of the sources said.

It shut one of ⁠its two ​200,000-bpd crude distillation units in late June, reducing the refinery’s operating rate ​to 50%, according to one of the two sources and a separate source.
The refinery was operating at around 70% of its capacity earlier in June and ​at more than 80% in May, Reuters has reported.

Previous Post

Oil Falls To Four-month Low As US, Iran Conclude Talks In Doha

Next Post

Trial For Bundibugyo Ebola Treatment Starts In DRC, WHO Says

Related Posts

Oil Stocks Declining ‘Very Fast’, IEA Chief Warns
Oil & Gas

Oil Rises on Iran War Stalemate; Near-term Potential For Further Gains Seen Limited

August 17, 2026
Ogoniland oil spill
Oil & Gas

Ogoni Youth Back Oil Resumption, Demands Role In OML 11 Operations

August 13, 2026
OPEC
Oil & Gas

Nigeria Meets OPEC Quota For Third Consecutive Month, Production Hits 1.67mbpd In July

August 12, 2026
Tinubu’s Government Orders Sale Of IBEDC, 4 Other Discos Within 90 Days
Oil & Gas

Nigeria Eyes $50bn Investments From Offshore Deep-water Projects

August 11, 2026
Next Post
First US Case Of New Mpox Variant Confirmed In California

Trial For Bundibugyo Ebola Treatment Starts In DRC, WHO Says

Tanzania at Heart of East Africa Migration Response, IOM Chief Says

August 19, 2026
At Least 25 killed In Attack On Nigeria’s Plateau Amid Reprisal Fears

At Least 25 killed In Attack On Nigeria’s Plateau Amid Reprisal Fears

August 18, 2026
US Excludes Nigeria, 17 Other Countries From 2025 Visa Lottery Scheme

US Lifts Security Restrictions On Ships From Nigeria After 12 Years

August 18, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version