• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Security

Nigerian Military Fighter Jet Mistakenly Kills 20 Vigilantes In Zamfara

metro by metro
June 2, 2025
in Security
0
Nigerian Military Fighter Jet Mistakenly Kills 20 Vigilantes In Zamfara
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

 

Tragedy struck as a Nigerian military fighter jet mistakenly struck and killed about 20 men of a vigilante group during an operation targeting bandits in Zamfara State.

Read Also

Concerns As Trump Administration Expands ICE Authority to Detain Refugees 

US, Iran Set For High-stakes Nuclear Talks In Geneva As Threat Of War Looms

Why We  Siezed El-Rufai’s Passport-DSS

The tragic incident occurred in Garin Mani, a village in the Maru Local Government Area, following an attack that left several residents dead.

Over 50 residents mostly farmers working on their fields, were abducted in the attack.

Eyewitnesses said the attackers stormed the area on motorcycles around noon, shooting indiscriminately and causing widespread panic.

In response, local vigilante groups mobilised and began chasing the fleeing assailants.
However, a military aircraft deployed to the scene allegedly misidentified the vigilantes as bandits and launched airstrikes on them.

READ ALSO:FG Declares June 6,9 Public Holidays To Mark Eid-UI-Adha Celebrations

“We were pursuing the bandits when we saw the fighter jet approaching,” one of the vigilantes told BBC Hausa.

“It flew very low and started bombing us. Some of us survived by pretending we had been hit. When the jet left, we got up and fled to safety.”

Another resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the incident and expressed disappointment over the lack of communication from the military.

“We understand it was an unfortunate mistake, but the military should acknowledge what happened and reach out to the victims’ families,” he said.

He also appealed to the government to deploy additional troops to the area, as the bandits had threatened to return.

Nigeria’s military has previously acknowledged mistakenly hitting civilians during air operations targeting armed gangs.

In January, at least 16 vigilantes were killed in a similar strike in Zamfara’s Zurmi district.

In December 2022, more than 100 civilians were killed in Mutunji village while pursuing bandits. A year later, an attack on a religious gathering in Kaduna state killed at least 85 people.

As of the time of filing this report, the Nigerian military has yet to issue an official statement on the latest incident.

Previous Post

Bill Gates to Direct Majority of $200 Billion Pledge Toward Africa’s Future

Next Post

Oil Inches Up On Supply Concerns, Weaker Dollar

Related Posts

Explainer: What Does Trump’s ‘Country Of Particular Concern ’ Tag On Nigeria Mean?
Security

Concerns As Trump Administration Expands ICE Authority to Detain Refugees 

February 19, 2026
Trump
Security

US, Iran Set For High-stakes Nuclear Talks In Geneva As Threat Of War Looms

February 17, 2026
Security

Why We  Siezed El-Rufai’s Passport-DSS

February 16, 2026
FTS: Concerns Over Kogi ‘Budget Paradox’ Amid Rising Enviromental, Social Risks
Security

FTS:Apprehension In Kogi Communities As Armed Herdsmen Attack Residents, LGAs Impose Curfew

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Oil Prices Down On Swelling US Crude Stocks, Easing Middle East Tensions

Oil Inches Up On Supply Concerns, Weaker Dollar

Trump

Trump, Supreme Court Justices On Warpath As President Raises Global Tariff Rate To 15% After Ruling

February 21, 2026
US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

US Labor Secretary’s Husband Barred From Department Over Sexual Assault Allegations, NYT Reports

February 20, 2026
Nigerians Overstaying Visa Risk Serious Sanctions, US Warns, Says “No Honest Mistakes”

Trump Administration Moves To End Housing Assistance For Mixed Immigration Families 

February 20, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version