• Contact Us
  • About Us
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Login
MetroBusinessNews
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
MetroBusinessNews
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Sports

CAF Probes Super Eagles Ordeal In Libya, Threatens Sanctions

metro by metro
October 14, 2024
in Sports
0
CAF Club Qualifications: Dadje Oust El Kanemi, Remo Battle Morocco’s AS FAR Tonight
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS

 

 

Read Also

‘Flawed’ Funding System Behind Silence Of Smaller Nations In FIFA’s Civil War, Says Ex-PNG Player

WAFCON 2026: Super Falcons Eliminated After 1-0 Defeat To Cameroon

Nigeria Vs Cameroon: Super Falcons Seek World Cup Ticket Against Indomitable Lionesses

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has opened an investigation into the Super Eagles ordeal in Libya and has threatened to sanction those found violating its statutes and regulations.

“The matter has been referred to the CAF Disciplinary Board for investigation and appropriate action will be taken against those who violated the CAF Statutes and Regulations,” CAF said in a statement on Monday.

Metrobusinesnews.com reports that Nigerian officials and players arrived in Libya on Sunday but were stranded at the Al Abraq International Airport for over 13 hours. They slept at the facility and were denied access to food and the internet.

CAF said it was concerned over the development and has reached out to both Libyan and Nigerian authorities.

“The Confederation Africaine de Football (CAF) has been in contact with the Libyan and Nigerian authorities after it had been informed that the Nigerian National Football Team (‘Super Eagles’) and their technical team were stranded in disturbing conditions for several hours at an airport that they were allegedly instructed to land by the Libyan authorities,” the football governing body said.

‘Hostage Situation’

Nigerian authorities had earlier raised alarm over the situation and said they were boycotting the game billed for Tuesday.

The Minister of Sport Development John Enoh said he was worried about the safety of the players and officials.

“The Team have succinctly stated that they have been unattended to for upwards of about 15 hrs since arrival, with no food, no accommodation, left in a mosquito-infested environment and cordoned off by Libyan security not to step out of the airport and they have access to nothing,” he said.

“To say the least, they face an almost ‘hostage’ situation. These are sportsmen set to compete in an AFCON qualifying match come Tuesday! For now, our primary concern is the safety of the members of our national team.”

‘Our Doors are Open’
🚨Statement:

1- We are deeply concerned about the recent reports surrounding the diversion of the Nigerian national team’s flight ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Libya.#Caf #Libya #Nigeria #football

ALSO READ:Libya Replies NFF After Absolving Its FA Of Complicity In Super Eagles Plight, CAF Mum

— Libyan FF – الإتحاد الليبي لكرة القدم (@Libyan_FF) October 14, 2024

However, the Libya Football Federation (LFF) said the delay was not intentional and refuted claims of sabotage.

“There are no grounds to accuse the Libyan security teams or the Libyan Football Federation of deliberately orchestrating this incident. Such actions are inconsistent with our values and principles,” the LFF said, attributing the delay to logistical issues and other challenges.

“We hope that this misunderstanding can be resolved with understanding and goodwill,” it said. “Our doors are open to our Nigerian brothers and all African teams, and we continue to promote the spirit of unity, sportsmanship, and friendship in the world of football.”

The Super Eagles were later cleared to leave Libya after the delay and are expected in the country soonest.

 

Previous Post

Libya Replies NFF After Absolving It’s FA Of Complicity In Super Eagles Plight, CAF Mum

Next Post

Urgent Education Reform Key to Unlocking Faster, More Inclusive Growth in Africa

Related Posts

UEFA Rejects FIFA’s $20bn Subsidiary Investment Plan
Sports

‘Flawed’ Funding System Behind Silence Of Smaller Nations In FIFA’s Civil War, Says Ex-PNG Player

August 11, 2026
WAFCON 2026: Super Falcons Eliminated After 1-0 Defeat To Cameroon
Sports

WAFCON 2026: Super Falcons Eliminated After 1-0 Defeat To Cameroon

August 9, 2026
Nigeria Thrash Egypt 6-2 To Reach WAFCON Quarter-Finals
Sports

Nigeria Vs Cameroon: Super Falcons Seek World Cup Ticket Against Indomitable Lionesses

August 9, 2026
Lionel Messi’s Father, Jorge, Dies At 68 After Long Sickness
Sports

Lionel Messi’s Father, Jorge, Dies At 68 After Long Sickness

August 9, 2026
Next Post

Urgent Education Reform Key to Unlocking Faster, More Inclusive Growth in Africa

Rwanda Highlights Potential for Migration to Drive Jobs, Skills and Regional Growth: IOM Chief

August 21, 2026
UK Finance Minister Says Govt To Cut Cost By 15%

Democratic California State Legislator Wahab Wins US House Of Representatives Seat

August 21, 2026
FG considers foreign exchange reforms as dollar shortages bite

Dollar Wobbles As Investors Balk At US Treasury’s Rescue Efforts

August 21, 2026
MetroBusinessNews

© 2022 Metro Business News

Navigate Site

  • Contact Us
  • About Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • News
  • Companies and Markets
  • Energy
  • Sports
  • Real Estate

© 2022 Metro Business News

Go to mobile version